*two antidepressants, a statin, metformin, and a diuretic
This entry was originally posted at http://kshandra.dreamwidth.org/1327013.h
- Current Mood: ditzy
If any of you would be interested in sponsoring a transit pass for Aisu (they currently live in VTA's service area, but SamTrans/MUNI/BART could all be beneficial), drop me a line and I'll help arrange getting it to them. And if anyone would like to contribute directly, their PayPal address is prussia(at)ucla(dot)edu.
*genderqueer, requests singular they pronouns
This entry was originally posted at http://kshandra.dreamwidth.org/1326361.h
There was an envelope on my chair when I got to the office today, with a CD from my Amazon wishlist and one of these.
You know who you are. Thank you. <3
This entry was originally posted at http://kshandra.dreamwidth.org/1326319.h
- Current Mood: touched
It's been a real struggle not to eat my feelings every night.
This entry was originally posted at http://kshandra.dreamwidth.org/1326020.h
- Current Mood: exhausted
This entry was originally posted at http://kshandra.dreamwidth.org/1325301.h
- Current Mood: numb
Wake up overdrawn Tuesday.
Because we spent a third of my check on GROCERIES, for fuck's sake.
And now gridlore and I are arguing over my going back to therapy. (Figure out how I'm going to pay for it, universe, and I'll be there tomorrow.)
This is going to be an awesome fucking day, I can just tell.
This entry was originally posted at http://kshandra.dreamwidth.org/1324925.h
A friend requested I make this, and so here it is, and I offer it to anyone who needs it, with all the authority vested in me by whoever vests these things. Print it out if you need to.
The best art advice ever given to me—ever, ever—was "Don't be afraid to make bad art."
You will make a whole lot of crap in your time. Some will be truly awful and some will be merely mediocre. And that is totally normal and totally fine and for the love of little green apples, just keep going, because that's the only way I know to get to the good stuff eventually.
(99% of the time I feel horribly egotistical mentioning the Hugo, but I think this counts as using that power for good, if anything does.)
This entry was originally posted at http://kshandra.dreamwidth.org/1324458.h
This entry was originally posted at http://kshandra.dreamwidth.org/1323884.h
- Current Location:Black Rock City
- Current Mood:dusty
- Current Music::oontz oontz oontz:
Last night sucked. Realized earlier in the evening that I was having an optic migraine; I sent myself to bed early because the visual effects were starting to make me dizzy, then woke up at 2am and couldn't get back to sleep until almost 4 (not least because I was lying there thinking "Damnit, I can't get up and pack because it'd be too noisy").
Once I was up this morning, I finished getting the rest of my clothes packed, including my post-event bag, then had to grab myself by the scruff of the neck and drag myself out to the car, or I would've been even later getting to work. (I kept looking around the house and thinking "Shit, that's gotta go in a box...that needs to go in my backpack...damnit, did we pack those already?")
If we had to just seal our boxes right now and go with what's already packed, we would be fine for the week, but there are a few more "fiddly bits and fjords" that will make the event a more comfortable one.
I'm SO ready to be on-playa. Contrary to the last time I said that in public, I'm almost ready to make the trip.
This entry was originally posted at http://kshandra.dreamwidth.org/1323561.h
A few data points for anyone who thinks what’s been happening in Ferguson, MO is an isolated incident as opposed to an ongoing, systemic problem.
- Ferguson Mayor James Knowles was asked about the diversity of his police department: 53 officers, just three of them African-American in a community that’s 67 percent African-American, according to 2010 Census data.
- Blacks in Ferguson are almost twice as likely to be searched during traffic stops; But statistically, Ferguson police find contraband significantly more often after searching whites.
- From the same source, blacks in Ferguson are disproportionately more likely to be pulled over in the first place, and more likely to be arrested, than whites.
It’s not just Ferguson.
- Blacks comprise 13 percent of the U.S. population, and are consistently documented by the U.S. government to use drugs at similar rates to people of other races. But blacks comprise nearly one – third ( 31 percent) of those arrested for drug law violations – and more than 40 percent of those incarcerated in state or federal prison for drug law violations.
- New Yorkers have been subjected to police stops and street interrogations more than 5 million times since 2002… [B]lack and Latino communities continue to be the overwhelming target of these tactics.
- A report on 313 black people killed by police, security guards, and vigilantes in 2012. Note that at least 44% were unarmed.
- [T]he young, the male, the Black and the Latino are disproportionately incarcerated. Put those factors together and you have almost 9% of Black men in their late 20s behind bars.
- A 2012 study found that unemployment rates “were highest for Blacks (13.8 percent) and for American Indians and Alaska Natives (12.3 percent).“
- On average, blacks receive almost 10% longer sentences than comparable whites arrested for the same crimes. At least half this gap can be explained by initial charging choices, particularly the filing of charges carrying mandatory minimum sentences. Prosecutors are … almost twice as likely to file such charges against blacks.
- There are 44 African American Members (8.1% of the total membership) in the 113th Congress. (The 2010 Census found that 12.6% of the population identified as Black or African American.)
- A 2010 study on racial motivation for hate crimes found that:
- 18.2 percent stemmed from anti-white bias.
- 69.8 percent were motivated by anti-black bias.
- The median wealth of white households is 20 times that of black households.
There’s a lot more data out there, but I hope this will help people who are watching events in Ferguson and throughout the country, and having trouble understanding where all of the anger is coming from.
Mirrored from Jim C. Hines.
This entry was originally posted at http://kshandra.dreamwidth.org/1323327.h
Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.
This entry was originally posted at http://kshandra.dreamwidth.org/1322648.h
- Current Mood: loved
It wasn't until I came back out to get in the car that I realized someone had stolen our cooler.
It looks as though I can replace it at either Costco or Target today, which is great. And really, we'd been living on borrowed time, leaving the gear unsecured in our carport; we don't currently have renter's insurance (though I'll be correcting that ASAP; it was a godsend when they took EVERYTHING from our locked garage back in '09), and even if we did, that single item wouldn't come close to making our deductible. I'm just glad that's all they took; they left the 5gal. water cooler, Doug's new cot, and both tents.
But the money I'm using to replace the cooler was the money Douglas and I had put aside to go to dinner tonight, to celebrate the anniversary of his not-dying after the stroke last year, and I'm PISSED.
(And as I noted when I posted this on FB earlier, I know this just sounds like passive-aggressive begging, and I'm just too tired - physically and mentally - to give a fuck.)
This entry was originally posted at http://kshandra.dreamwidth.org/1322259.h
- Current Mood: irate
This entry was originally posted at http://kshandra.dreamwidth.org/1322064.h
- Current Mood: ditzy
- Current Music:pelpp and a.vanvranken (SomaFM - Black Rock FM)
( Back hereCollapse )
This entry was originally posted at http://kshandra.dreamwidth.org/1321915.h
- Current Mood: depressed
Now, thanks to the prompt I left in ysabetwordsmith's latest Poetry Fishbowl, it is also the name of a poem in her Schroedinger's Heroes universe.
Check it out, and if you like what you see, go feed the fish.
This entry was originally posted at http://kshandra.dreamwidth.org/1321691.h
If you want to make a contribution in Jay’s name, please make it to:
Clayton Memorial Medical Fund
P.O. Box 5703
Portland, Oregon 97228
Pizza and Hawaiian shirts on Friday. Don't forget.
This entry was originally posted at http://kshandra.dreamwidth.org/1321422.h
- Current Mood: sad
But that shouldn't stop any of the rest of us from having our own little JayCons on Friday, wherever we happen to be.
Brightly-colored shirts. Tie-dyed socks. A fez, should you be so inclined. And, of course, pizza. Because pizza.
Who's with me? (And please, feel free to share.)
This entry was originally posted at http://kshandra.dreamwidth.org/1321131.h
I was able to go visit pentaclemoon last night for her birthday and stay up far too late chatting (okay, snarking) with her, cruz531, myrkrida, thesylvan, and KobaltBleu, and spent the drive there and back working my way through the WTNV archive (I've just finished "A Story About You"). I paid for my late night by spending the day dead for tax purposes; I finally got out of bed for good about an hour ago, and am now making clean-out-the-fridge sourdough bread pizzas for breakfast/lunch/dinner/whathaveyou.
This entry was originally posted at http://kshandra.dreamwidth.org/1319965.h
- Current Mood: grateful
I hate doing this, but any help you can offer would be appreciated. The PayPal address is purplekoosh at gmail. Boosting the signal is welcome.
This entry was originally posted at http://kshandra.dreamwidth.org/1319814.h
- Current Mood: crushed
I'm realizing that I simply don't have the emotional energy to devote to the competition, either writing my own entries or reading enough of the others to cast a well-educated vote. I'm sorry I didn't pick it up in an earlier season; I might have a better handle on it by now.
I wish all of the other competitors the very best of luck.
This entry was originally posted at http://kshandra.dreamwidth.org/1319439.h
- Current Mood: drained